Shenandoah in Norman Rockwell's America - the mid-20th Century Town:
Linen-era Postcard views:
Postcards reproducing photographic views printed in cheap inks on linen-type paper date to years 1930 to 1945. Their fuzzy printings preserve the past in a romantic, idealized image.
|Aerial View of Shenandoah, 1940s -- Town Seen from Top of Girard Park on Locust Mountain|
|Looking North at Main Street, from Main & Centre - Linen Postcard - 1940s|
|Main Street at Night -1940s|
The Shenandoah Trust Company building, 1920s, later Stief's Drugstore
The Shenandoah Trust Company, which stood on the Northeast corner of Main & Centre, doubtless perished in the Great Depression. In later years, Stief's Drugstore owned the building and occupied the ground floor storefront. The tallest office building in Shenandoah (boasting an elevator, no less) was demolished in the 1970s, and its lot (at the corner of the principal intersection in the town!) left vacant to serve as a driveway for drive through banking at a bank next door.
The Beddal Building, earlier home of the Shenandoah Trust Company, was the site of the Miners' National Bank in the mid-20th century. The architectural details were destroyed by modernizations starting in the 1960s.
The O'Hara Theatre Building, early 1900s, later the Strand Theatre
Destroyed by fire, December 27, 1965.
Hotel Ferguson, white border postcard, circa 1920s, later Hotel Shenandoah
In its original form (see below), this building was the first structure erected within the town plot of the future Shenandoah, in August of 1862, and marked the beginning of the development of the town. It was first called the United States Hotel (which burned in 1883), rebuilt as the Hotel Ferguson, and finally known as the Hotel Shenandoah. The stone-covered four story incarnation seen here survived for most of the 20th century. It was first torn down to the level of a single story, then further demolished to provide a bus stop driveway.
1949 view from West side of town.
Note the deep ShenPenn stripping pit at upper left, and the great banks of coal dust at lower right. The ShenPenn pit was subsequently filled in sometime after 1966, and the enormous hills of coal dust, along with many others in the region, were removed and burned using new technologies in electrical generation plants. This photograph is very clear, but comparative elevations are not always apparent.